Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Definition of "Yumm"

After my delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte morning, my day just got yummier and yummier!  For lunch, Lil'big and I had some soup (Barley Veg... yes, it was from a can. I am not superwoman!) and apples.

But supper was where the magic happened. I have been in role as "wifey" for about 2 years now, and can you believe that today was the first time I have used my crock pot?  I know, I know... it really is sad. But I have learned the error of my ways, and I have seen the light!

Pot Roast -- made how my mama has always made it! (This is the first time I have made it on my own in my house, though!)
  • 10 small red potatoes (cut in halves)
  • Large yellow onion
  • Baby Carrots (about 10-12?)
  • Celery (2 stalks in chunks)
  • 1.5-2 lb Beef roast seasoned with salt and pepper
  • 1/2-3/4 cup of water
  Lined the bottom of the crock pot with a layer of potatoes, then mixed up the onion, celery, carrots, and the rest of the potatoes and put that in. Lay the roast on top and lay a couple onions on top for flavor. Add in the water, then cover and cook for about 8 hours.

It was fall apart tender! So good! My hubby is picky, and he loved it! And the veggies (minus the celery).  Lil'bug ate some carrots and potatoes, but she wouldn't even try the roast. I gave her some pears and part of my bread, too. She will NOT eat meat, so I try and make sure she eats plenty of veggies to get her iron. Border line anemic, and making it hard on mommy to get that iron in her!

Then came the cinnamon apples! I looked online for a good recipe, but they all seemed to call for whole apples... and I didn't want that. So, I wing,wang,wung it!
  • 2 sweet apples (we used Gala, but Fuji or whatever would work)
  • 1 tart apple (Granny Smith, ya'll!)
  • 2 1/2 Tbs Sugar
  • 1/2 Tbs Cinnamon
  • Couple dashes of pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 Tbs water
  • 1 Tbs butter
Mix up, and cook covered on medium heat. Stir occasionally and cook until tender. (However you like 'em!)

I am so sorry I didn't get any pictures of the deliciousness! It all smelled and looked so good, I didn't even think of it!
P.S. If you had noticed, we are a day behind in our Menu Planner. On Sunday, my hubbs was helping my folks do more demolition on their house, so they ended up taking us out for supper! They are too sweet! Sorry for the confusion!

No comments:

Post a Comment