Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween, friends! I hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe time today. We had a fun filled day for sure! I tend to go overboard for holidays.... but no one is complaining in my house! (yet!)

We started the morning with some pumpkin shaped pancakes! (Next year, I am going to get some empty mustard/ketchup style squirt bottles to make this easier.) Here they are! They went over like, well, just like hot cakes!

After breakfast, we decided to paint/carve pumpkins! Bug hasn't taken much to coloring yet, so I was very impressed that she painted her pumpkin so well! She sat right down, and smeared the paint all over the pumpkin with the paintbrush. It turned out great!



During naptime, we toasted our pumpkin seeds! (I don't have the patience to wait for them to dry overnight...) I made two batches this year. One batched I made in a sauce pan-- one cup of sweet pumpkin seeds! I toasted them a little over medium heat, then added a bit of olive oil,  1 Tbsp of sugar, 1 Tbsp of sugar/cinnamon mix, 2 tsp vanilla. I turned up the heat and let the sugar melt a little and caramelize on the seeds before I spread them out on wax paper to cool. The other batch was about one cup of seeds mixed with a bit of olive oil, garlic salt, onion powder, a tad chili powder, all seasoning, and table salt. I baked these at 350 for about 20-30 minutes (could have gone longer.) 


Today, in the battle between Salty vs Sweet Pumpkin Seeds... Sweet won! They were so good! Both batched were tasty, but this was the first time we have made the sweet kind, and they were awesome! 

Finally, Bug woke up and we were able to head out to do a little family Trick or Treating. I made her a garden gnome costume this year and she was super cute! 

See, I told ya! Super cute!


I made her whole costume this year, and I am so proud of how it turned out! (The only things I didn't make would be her tights and her shirt.) It was such a fun project. I just hope she doesn't outgrow letting me make her costumes, umm, ever!


Happy Halloween, everyone!


Oh! If you are wondering what my surprise was the other night... my wonderful and amazing hubby set up Rocky Horror for us complete with all the props and he even got us costumes! A local theatre in town was having a participation screening, but we weren't able to go and I was super bummed. So, the hubs got all the props (every single one! from water pistols and newspapers, to toast and rubber gloves!) and us a couple of wigs so we could dress up... It was SUCH a fun time! He is so sweet... I kinda love that guy!
Can you guess who we are? (P.S. I wish my hair were this color!)

3 comments:

  1. That is such a cute costume! Good job! I liked the pancakes too. I will have to remember that for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pancake idea. I also have tried to get my hair that color and it doesn't stay. We can only hope.

    I will be following.

    ReplyDelete